Sep 17, 2009

London Baby!


The BU abroad here is set up as a sort of spread out mini campus in South Kensington (One of London's most posh neighborhoods). There are a few buildings for housing and one main building with the administrative offices and library. The classrooms are in each buildings. I live in "The Sorbonne House", which is directly across from the Natural History Museum, a 15 minute walk to Hyde Park and a 1-2 minute walk to shops, restaurants, and a tube station with 3 major lines running through. Only three of us from CGS live in the Sorbonne house and the other students are all on different BU London programs. Most of the CGS students live in the "The Crofton" which is were my classes are (10 minutes away). The three of us like living a part from the The Crofton thou. I share a well-equipped kitchen with about 6 others girls and have one room mate named Rebecca (fellow CGS student). She's a very sweet girl from Buffalo New York. That's my bed below, the only picture of my housing so far.

Another great thing BU London has to offer is their Social Program. Through our account you can purchase tickets for nearly any time of social/cultural event. Soccer games, theatre, weekend adventure trips, night clubs, sightseeing tours, etc., all at a much discounted price. So far I've signed up for an opera called Rigoletto, Sleeping Beauty the ballet at the Royal Opera House, and an Football (soccer) game. The London film festival is coming up so I'm in the process of choosing which (of the hundred or so) films I want to see. They've also organized pick-up football (again...soccer) in Hyde Park, which about 15-20 of us do on Sundays.

I'm really enjoying all my classes as well as the professors. They're all British and their style of teaching is a bit different but I actually like it better and feel like I'm learning/retaining much more. Instead of the science labs I would be having at CGS, every Wednesday we have a field trip for Natural Science to relevant places around London. Now this isn't the reason I chose to do the program but I can certainly say that I hated labs last year. I'll write more about each field trip later.

Some South Kensington pictures, what most of the streets look like. The white IS that bright.