Sep 23, 2009

Dublin

This past weekend I finally made my way outside England and flew up to Dublin! Two other CGS girls and I left late Thursday night and exhaustedly arrived at our hostel "The Ashfield" on D'Olier Rd. The hostel is right outside Temple Bar, Dublin's happening neighborhood made of narrow roads, silly pubs, all types of restaurants, and all types of characters. Our first day we got tea at a place called Bewley's. We just went for refreshment but the food looked delicious. After that we spent most of the day exploring, or Rambling if you will. I wasn't feeling to good so I ended up staying back at the hostel that night. It was actually had a lot of fun just mingling with the other travelers and watching a Rugby game (I've been wanting to learn the rules for a while). The next day I got up at 6AM to catch a train for my day tour to Ireland's west coast. The tour was through Galway and Connemara by way of coach. It was a long day but the landscape was very beautiful. We went to a site called Kylemore Abbey, with a beautiful Gothic church, structured gardens, and a castle-like estate. The main thing I got from the site was that a drawing/reading room will be essential in my future home. I learned a bit of Gaelic and listened to some classic Irish music. My train ride to and from the tour was three hours. I Actually enjoy long train rides though and it gave me plenty of time to reflect since it was in fact Rosh Hashanah. Lauren (travel buddy) and I had apples and sugar later that night at the hostel. The honey was 5 Euro, which is $10, so we settled for sugar.
The following day we took a tour of the Guinness warehouse and at night, roamed the crazy streets of Temple Bar once again. Finally, on Sunday, we made it back to South Kensington in the late afternoon...just in time to study protein synthesis for our Monday morning test.

One of many Dublin bridges across the river


Outside the warehouse


Guinness's take on the ever crucial ingrediant, water


Lauren and I in the "tasting laboratory"


Pretty Ireland


Kylemore


Kylemore Gardens, now cared for by nuns






Gothic Church


Man with pipe & bright blue shirt




My pub meal, homemade vegetable soup and hardy bread


Connor! The sweetest man ever, made us feel at home in the hostel


Crowds gathering in the street on Sunday for a rivalry football game


Apples and Sugar for Rosh Hashanah