Nov 4, 2009

From London of many gardens and endless tea to Italy of much art and endless Gelato

I haven’t posted in a very very long time because I have been insanely busy and insanely pre-occupied. I know this Italy post is long overdue and again, I would write more--and more interestingly--if I had more time. Luckily I always take photos and hopefully they tell some sort of story or offer proper insight. Italy was a great experience and I’m really glad I chose to go there for my fall break. I spent the trip with another girl on the CGS program named Thandi. I had a great time getting to know her. She’s adventurous and open-minded, and more importantly, likes to explore places and ideas as much as I do. Our itinerary was from north to south. We started in Venice first, then took a train to Florence and from there, finished in Rome. Each city was definitely unique compared to other in the world as well as to each other. Overall I’d say Italians are very friendly people (well maybe just the men…well maybe just the men who work in gelato shops). The food was great and the art was better, not to mention we were lucky enough to have sun everyday! 

Venice first!

At San Marco, right after buying that stupid hat


        
                                        
Venice didn't smell as we were told it would, but maybe the wind was working in our favor. My favorite part about the city was that you can feel entirely lost in a maze of narrow roads and then all of sudden come upon an unexpected large plaza opening. It felt like I could hear music throughout the entire day.


When the moon hits your eye...


Making all types of friends

We wasted a bit to much sun-time trying to decide which mask to buy


My camera died...taking a sunset picture to send to mama...still wearing the stupid hat

More sunsets for lucky-girl traveler


Firenze Second!

View from Piazza Michelangelo


Of three cities I think it's safe to say Florence was my favorite. Too be fair, I can't say exactly why because it doesn't have as much character as Venice and Rome. I guess it was a sort of combination of both the cities and in that sense offers everything needed, or at least wanted. In other words, pretty views, charming streets, great food, and great art. We also LOVED our hostel there. We became good friends with the manager, Franco. He almost cried when I told him I already felt at home in the first hour! Franco also took us to the basement of the building the hostel was a part of and showed us a hidden area of tunnels where Jews were hidden during WWII. Oh...and the sun was out the entire time




Franco...standing 5''1? 5''2?

Underground WWII hideaways




Illegal photo of the David

One of the main plazas, our hostel was right next door


Stumbled upon art



Stumbled upon Sausage...

Stumbled upon Italian diplomat...

I prefer the Basilica di Santa Maria at night...do I sound snobby yet?

umm, beef jerky I think? Definitely dried meet, definitely didn't smell good

No, this isn't India





I believe that one was a tri-scoop...chocolate, pistacio, and amaretto
(I lied, I don't "believe", I remember exactly)




Rome third!

Co-LASAL-eum

The main things running through my head at the Colosseum were Russell Crow, my brothers running around the place pretending to be gladiators, and the phrase "Strength and honor"

Rome was all about the sites. There is a lot to see and to quote Sara Golden "You could spend like 3 days in Vatican city alone". I had a pretty good plan for seeing the city and still being able to relax and explore and it all worked out well. Everything is easy to get to and the lines weren't nearly as long as we were told they would be. Traveler hint: book tickets ahead online whenever possible. The only waiting we did for the vatican was like long walk past the long line and the employee scanning our tickets immediately for entrance. The art inside the Vatican was unlike anything I've ever seen in the amount of consistent detail in such a large space. We went to the Spanish steps, Trevi, and one of the coolest/most unique things was the Cappuccini Crypt. Mom told me to go. It's a series of rooms all decorated artistically with human bones. As Thandi said "It's one of the creepiest and most beautiful things I've ever seen". Below is a picture I googled of it because you aren't really allowed to take any inside. This is just one room of many.
                       
The absolute highlight of Rome was going to the Great Synagogue where my grandparents were married. It's located in the Jewish Ghetto and right across the river from the trendy neighborhood, Trastevere. I wasn't allowed to take pictures on the inside but maybe it can be googled I'm not sure. The inside is stunning. There is giant stained glass panels, detailed & colorful painting, and embellishments all throughout. I felt a really strong connection with the building. I also felt thankful and I also missed my grandparents a lot. I bought a Chai (not chai like a chai-tea latte, chai the like hebrew word for life_ charm for my necklance there. It reminded me of some thing my Grandma Lisa would have worn. I feel lucky that my grandparents made it there and I feel lucky to be alive and fortunate enough to be able to have gone there. As Mr. Bob Marley says "if you know your history then you would know where you're comin from".


Making wishes at Trevi Fountain

Gelato break # 8,965

Wishing for world peace...obviously

Roasted chestnuts....

They look great until you get a rotten one



From inside the Vatican: I actually was more taken by all the Raphael Rooms than the Sistine Chapel
Sounds snobby yet?

One of my favorite paintings











The Great Synagogue 


Fellas of the Jewish Ghetto

Look at it...actually look at what the warning is implying

Thandi and I still laughing about what the train warning is implying...I'm laughing right now


Flowers suffocating buildings, a great commonality with London homes

Rome Graffiti